COMMERCIAL & LEISURE MARINE
Is your company supplying services to the commercial or leisure marine industry? Is the work activity potentially hazardous? If so you should have a robust Safety Management System (SMS) in place to ensure that your work is conducted safely and in accordance with applicable Health and Safety (H&S)/Maritime Safety Legislation and Regulations (such as The Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (H&S at Work) Regulations and the International Safety Management (ISM) Code).
We have found that numerous marine industry based companies have generic land based SMS in place which do not adequately assess or cover maritime operations.
Do have a generic land based H&S SMS in place? Are you confident that it complies with your Professional Indemnity Insurance requirements for H&S matters whilst working on vessels in dock or alongside? Would it stand up to scrutiny by accident investigators in the unfortunate event of an accident involving one of your staff or sub-contractors?
If you are unsure, SSA Members Safeguard Engineering Ltd (SEL) are here to help you. We are well established providers of maritime Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) consultancy and management services. We provide specialist advice and support services to the maritime industry, general industry and the Ministry of Defence (MoD). Our OH&S team have extensive ‘hands-on’ practical experience of working and managing others within OH&S hazardous environments, in particular on-board ships, dockyards and workshops.
How Safeguard Engineering can help:
• The development of vessel/ organisation Safety Management Systems and Plans.
• Assistance and advice to client organisations/ vessels for OH&S arrangements including the set up and audit of company safety policy, documentation and SMS.
• Preparation and presentation of safety assessments/ evidence to Regulatory Authorities for the issue of safety certification to the vessel, including; Ship Safety Management, Ship Aviation, Fire, Escape and Evacuation, structure, stability and special operations.
• The identification and interpretation of safety and environmental Regulations/ Legislation that is applicable to the vessel and how compliance can be achieved.
• The development of vessel and equipment Safety Cases and Safety Assessment reports to meet individual client needs – i.e. Safe Return to Port arrangements.
• System safety reviews, audits and advice.